A Delhi with no meat

I am here or there rather. My journey was, in many ways, a stormy one ( one class 2 tornado over Georgia Straight and a 500 mile wide electrical storm over the coast of India. Turns out lightning is far more exciting when your airborne) , though pleasant enough all in all. Hong Kong is very, very clean, Delhi is very, very not clean at least these are the impressions I gathered from the respective airports. I am staying at Baha'i House, a hostel type place on the grounds of the National (Baha'i) centre. Upon arriving it struck me as being much like many colonial compounds one might see in an American Period Movie about India, sure enough it turns out this is where Gandhi (Ben Kingsley) was filmed in 1979.
I ate my first Indian meal this morning which was delicious and completely housed in steel. It seems that Indian restaurants in Toronto gave a very accurate experience of Indian cutlery. As for the spice, well lets just say I ate it, enjoyed it, and when I spilled some of my whatever it was on my hand it burned and formed a rash. haHa!...authentic. Tony Blair arrived in Delhi today and Baha’i House is in New Delhi (The part of the city built by the British, which houses most of the government residences and buildings) we have noticed the effect of his arrival. Mostly in the form of men with machine guns. But they are all very nice men, and mostly they are very old machine guns.
The heat is quite oppressive but not quite as bad as Toronto in July. The geckos are very cute and numerous, particularly in the shower and traffic laws seem to be acutely Darwinian. That in a nutshell is my experience thus far. My tourism has included the Indira(sp?) Gandhi Airport twice and the roads in between.
A last comment for all those inclined to travel. Cathay Pacific is an all round great airline with very addictive entertainment media services and talking appliances. However never, never, never get the beef or the chicken. The salmon salad is however is quite superb.
<< Home