Thursday, September 08, 2005

Saving Face in Connaught Place

Today was a very damp day. Not that anyone else noticed. No, you see for the last two days I have been taking my meals exclusively at a local cafeteria (restaurant) where all manner of South Indian spicy whatsit is continually served to you while you attempt to make it all go away in your little pile of basmati rice. Despite the general blazing zest of it all I quite enjoy it, however it has not been without side effects. Happily I have yet to suffer any serious digestive upset "knock"* but it seems that this food's chemical compound has steadily raised my core temperature, which, sadly was pretty high to begin with. Working in conjunction with the daily 45+ humidex(sp?), The food has managed to readily dispatch any semblance of public dignity my poor pale skin ever provided. I'm sweating, oh Zoiks! am I sweating, it's like I have some rare condition, it seems that in a sealed room with full on AC and four ceiling fans I'm okay but three or four minutes outside and I begin to resemble a grumpy Orangutan in a wet T shirt contest. My choice of white dress shirt did nothing to help matters.
A note on geography: The National Baha’i centre in New Delhi is very near most of the famous historical sights of the city. The India Gate and Connaught Place are both within a 5 to ten minute walk. However the Baha’i center should not be confused with the now famous Baha’i Lotus Temple which is a good 20 minutes away by taxi. The images below are of Connaught Place, India Gate and local traffic, none of them are mine.