Saturday, September 24, 2005

Thunder Snakes and Chubby Rain

So, as I sat in my R500. (Rupees) AC class train seat staring out across the miles of verdant land drowning in rain water it occurred to me that when I had gone to bed 6 hours earlier I had been sweating in the dry baking air of a typical Indian night. Now with not so much as a courteous pressure change the air has cast off all vestiges of warmth (outside the car as well as in) or dryness, the sky is dark and commuters on motor cycles are astride their hampered steeds knee deep in flood water. What gives, I'm from BC and this is with out precedent. Also, Indian lightning does not behave here. It has no regard for requisite conditions like clouds or temperature change, it has apparently given thunder the boot as thunder arrives very late to the party, well after lightning has taken its leave, and thunder is for its part more curmudgeonly than any of his North American cadres. So it seems that lightning with sunshine and thunder-plus are just two of the drastically altered features of the weather as I knew it. Se la vie (sp?)

Our musical chairs between Chandigarh have brought us back to Delhi once again, the rain, which has apparently raised rickshaw prices 10 rupees in my absence, may not stop for a few days so we have all taken to going stir crazy in our lovely but frankly inadequate suite at Bahai House.

That's it I think. Sorry to be so banal...um, if a comment is needed I suppose it could be mentioned that this country needs less poo and poo related activities, especially where the trains are concerned. Oddly the washrooms on board India rail AC class cars are quite clean and well stocked with supplies. I am also pleased to report that after three trips I can state that they are as punctual as their reputation. This point of pride though falls somewhat flat when the death rate amongst crowding late coming passengers is taken into consideration.

I'm off to find coffee without milk in it.

Cheers
Chris

PS
I hear gas prices are making like astronauts and leaving the atmosphere over in the west. It would seem "Rita the Destroyer" has got Texans in a tizzy, and OPEC as well, or so they say. Has anyone over there mentioned in any public forum that Houston, even "that" Houston is land locked and 50ft above sea level, and that the majority of damage from Katie dearest was flood related? Forgive my impudence but it seems rather hysterical. As for gas prices heres to hoping I can get a plane ticket brofore they switch back to steam liners.