Monday, November 14, 2005

Down and Out on Tolstoy Marg

Howdy!

D'ya all hate computers? I know I do!

Apparently a man in the UK is the first confirmed case of becoming HIV negative after being diagnosed positive some months earlier. The Delhi Times reported that all the man's blood, both the positive and the negative have been DNA tested and confirmed. He is now apparently devoting his body medical research...how d'ya like them apples?

I like em fine I tells ya, in fact I read this happy tidbit while puffing away on an smooth two apple hookah pipe on the upper floor or my usual coffee lounge on Tolstoy Marg. (street) In front of me and my plethora of cushions, coffee cups and writing materials sat a large man in a T-shirt that said I lost my heart in Vandasawa. But I might be wrong about that. The air was alive with aromatic scent of fruity sheesha steam and coffee. Peabo Bryson regaled us with his saccharine warning that some thing was definitely going to be different when this night was over. Kenny G seconded this sentiment by imitating a pigeon in heat on his tenor sax. After some time the time-cops showed up clapped the un-dynamic duo in irons and sent them back to 1991. The MC hurriedly filled the vacuum with a little Andean flute and all was right in the jungle again.

It’s been a busy and eventful week or so, but not so much that you’d notice. I became an insomniac about 9 days ago, I’m getting really good at it now, except for the whole immune system thing. Insomnia has some highlights attendant to its rather simplistic list of symptoms. I have taken the liberty of listing them in successive order for those unfamiliar with this most uninteresting affliction.

Insomnia:

Symtoms may include:

The inability to sleep
Not sleeping much, if at all
A strong desire to sleep
Wrinkled bed sheets encrusted with biscuit crumbs
Some other illness with its own list of symptoms (illness may vary)

Attendant Issues (that are not really symptoms but are quite secure enough in themselves to go right on happening anyway thank you very much.) may include:

1 Eating all your snacks in the hours of nocturnal wakefulness
2 Walking the streets at night in search of snacks
3 An appreciation of local architecture, civic engineering and late night taxi fares.
4 A good sense of the total impossibility of procuring anything after hours in India
5 An appreciation for the hatred of boredom
6 An appreciation for stars and how distracting they can be if you try hard enough
7 A superb sense of how long it takes for a night to go by
8 The exact sensation felt by the majority of characters* in any film by George A. Romero. (incidentally the same sensation can be achieved by listening to Peabo Bryson and Kenny G for more than 5 tracks in succession)

So armed with my new mask of the undead I continue to sally forth on this magical mystery tour of Television production on the fly. We had a fabulous celebration for the Birth of Baha’u’llah absolutely anyone who is everyone*** was there. I was relieved to discover that in addition to not preventing me from doing my job, being undead also had no effect on my ability to be chatty and agreeable in strange company. Be that as it may I would rather my head not all off, even if only for aesthetic reasons. To this end I visited a “Chemists”**** today. Not necessarily the most reputable one but frankly, it might well have been too, who knows. Businesses seem to operate without reputations in this country. In any case it was the closest and recommended. I went in asked for whatever non-prescription they had that suppressed the effects of leprosy, coughing and sinus congestion. The gentleman behind the counter produced about six foil strips of tablets. All the colours of the Pharmaceutical rainbow were represented. No box, no descriptions, no ingredients only a consistent printed stamp on the back of each and every foil strip:

CLASS H (or other letter) DRUG
NOT FOR RETAIL EXCEPT WITH PERSCRIPTION FROM REGISTERED PHYSICIAN

settled for some lozenges…I may be a half dead Zombie but I’m not suicidal and though I may be polite I don’t quite have that lemming like denseness that I often think Indians attribute to tourists when the recommend a guided walking tour of the worlds most poisonous snakes in the wild. I had also noticed one of the packets supposedly a treatment for the common cold had a partial label that stated in no un certain terms
"resulting side effects could include vom…" (the foil was ripped beyond this point) I could think of few words beginning with "vom" and none were anything I wanted to add to my current collection of physiological eccentricities. My roommate may be German but he needs to sleep sometime.

Here’s to swimming with bow legged women

Chris

PS
Re: the guy who gave HIV the Heave-Ho, I was under the impression that this was not a wholly unprecedented occurrence and that people in south Asia and East Africa had exhibited similar miracles…any one know anything about this? Will they find a cure...if they do, will they send any to africa?

PPS
Please check out Mark Bamford’s blog @ www.markbamford.com. Its pretty much a list of all the praise (interviews, features, articles, reviews) garnered by the film he and his wife made. Impressive and interesting if you are into Indie cinema or are a Baha’i.

Da footnotes

* The majority would always necessarily be Zombies** though some of the other folks in his movies would probably feel something not too far of the mark as well.

** The living dead, or reanimated corpses of recently deceased humans. Not those found in the mid nineties reggae and confederate infused metal band or the 28 days later angry English variety, though not unlike the calmer more klutzy Sean of the Dead English variety.

*** The newly approved personal value and equality focused re-tooling of that old snobbish turn of phrase.

**** The Pharmacy as called by English people who were very used to going to the Alchemists before the advent of modern drugs and have yet only knocked of the “a” and the “l”. They object to the any word that sounds like farm but is not and more over has the audacity to use a P and H where an F would do perfectly well. The Indian’s couldn’t care less what you call I as it pretty much sells you anything, the signs said Chemist when the Brits left and if it aint broke….