Monday, November 21, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Tragedy

Hey hey, I'm almost gone. Back to Chandigarh, that sleepy sectorized society of soft serve....(cough)...anyway.

Last night I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, for the second time, different group of friends, it was good. But if you want to know how good, or at least how good I thought it was, checkout my new blog Reviews to Bemuse coming soon. In the meantime I recommend you just go see it, I think it opens in Antarctica in a month but its out every where else.

Today I would like to discuss (expound) upon teamwork, North Delhi and people with too much gumption. As many of you know I have been experiencing some problems with time lately, not so much in the usual management sense but more in the sort of Star-Treck-4-Steven-Hawking-why-am-I-not-when-I-should-be kind of problem. In short I have been popping in an out of time warps. It’s a bother to say the least. The other day I woke up, dawn was gleaming through the curtains, I began to brush my teeth and discovered that the sun had set and there was a man in the shower beside me. In an effort to seem unruffled I simply kept on brushing and staring at the mirror, by the time I had worked over the molars the sun was up again, having come from the west at about 8 frames per second and the bathroom was, more or less a few ants, the same as it had been, shower empty, morning song birds in full swing. As the day progressed I was able to deduce that what I had seen was the evening of the same day when I would have roommates one of whom would decide to take a shower after dark, but in the end the whole experience was flumuxingly useless. As were many others like it and I have since deduced that the space/time hiccup problem has a geographical relationship, specifically, Delhi. It would seem that Delhi is composed of pieces of the past and even a few chunks of future. I formed the hypothesis about three days ago when I saw a bedraggled, half-naked man with a height just less than mine but a comparable body weight about half, covered in dirt dragging a poorly nailed together cart made of discarded planks and branches. Now, he sounds like a ghost of the past sure enough, but we all know that such people can be found in this time working at menial tasks in India’s sprawling faceless labor force. So, why a time phenomena you ask? Here's the clincher the cart was loaded with huge flat screen TV displays each 50 inches if it was a centimeter. Oh, and a space ship. I little red single pilot affair a not unlike that once flown by the intrepidly under-lucky Space man Spiff as told to us by the genius Waterson. But I digress.
The Delhi Civil Engineering/space time collage became clear last night while driving the deserted streets with the crew. The region of North Delhi where we viewed the fore mentioned movie that you might well want to go see, is a very ramshackle region of an already markedly ramshackle city in what may be described as one of the more ramshackle countries in the "developing" world. Let's put it this way. Every surface on every building could and often should be something else. Walls that matched their windows a century ago have caved in but been left standing. The chunks of gray rubble that fall off one building are used to build a second box shaped room on the red building next door, the remaining gray wall and replaced by drywall and all of a sudden you have a Frankenstein monster of injured Edwardian colonial plaster and brink with a huge patch of suburban Vancouver bulging from the wound. Well it occurred to me that this ugly but organic process of civil construction might be enabled by a grid of.... alright, listen, I was about to suggest a really ridiculous science fiction type reason for the violently eclectic look of North Delhi but I’m starting to freak my self out...so, I’m just gonna go get a coke and take a little time out and maybe we can pick this up later... thanks for your patience.

Oh, another quick word on my up coming review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the movie). I'm a little ashamed of it cause it's the only film I’ve seen in the cinema for over three months and I kinda went insane with possible observations, Suffice to say it needs a good editing or five. I can tell you now it will include the words frenetic, and gargantuan (sp?). I'm quite excited about that at least.

Cheers

Chris